Monday, June 16, 2008

Unplugged Project Plastic

The project for today at unplugyourkids is plastic.  I must say, I really did have some trouble thinking up what to do this week.  Early on, I thought the kids could weave a rug out of plastic bags, but the project seemed a bit daunting as the week went on.  Then, out of the blue, my ds started complaining that we had no rope.  He had no rope to jump with, play tug of war with, or to tie up his older brother!  Well, we couldn't have that!  So we learned how to braid plastic bags into rope, as you can see in the first three photos.  All you need is a grocery store plastic bag and scissors.  We cut the strips into about 2 inch thick strands and braided away.  So far, the rope is holding up very well (although he has not yet captured his older brother to tie him up yet).  That may very well be the end of the rope.  LOL!  However, I have plenty more plastic bags.  I love that we were able to use something at home that so often seems to be a waste of our resources.  I will have to think more about what to do with these plastic bags that are trying to take over my home. 











I had to come back on to post two more plastic activities depicted in the final two photos.  A few weeks ago, we made these bottles.  They are simply glitter, beads, colored water, and oil.  They make fun shakers or are fun to just watch the oil floating around in the water.  We also just had to try making our own homemade Shrinky-Dinks.  (For instructions, go to http://unplugyourkids.com/2008/06/15/homemade-shrinky-dinks-weekly-unplugged-project/.)  I never did this as a child and happened to have a few number 6 plastic containers to cut up.  How much fun!!  I can't wait to try that again.







Blessings, Dawn

8 comments:

  1. A really good plastic project!!!! Just learning how to braid and reuse the bags is a great lesson. I am sure they came up with lots of things to do with their new "rope", Blessings

    http://morningstargreentime.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative project! We made bottles kind of like yours this week. :)


    www.seekingimperfection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. and be green. I've seen people crochet the cut plastic bags into things, but I like your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice way to use what you had on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your plastic braided rope. I too seem to have a stash of plastic grocery bags that multiply on their own. I use them for disposing of cat litter, but they still take over the kitchen! I'll have to try braiding them sometime.


    I am glad you enjoyed the Shrinky Dinks project. I can't wait to do it again either, it was really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool projects! Our use for plastic bags stop at using them for cleaning out the litter box.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool. I never knew you could use plastic containers to make shrinky dinks. That reminds me that I think I have a kit of those around here somewhere that never got used. Good project for next week. The bag rope is cool, too. I'm surprised my Marissa hasn't already thought of that. Those are her kind of inventions!

    Does your WalMart not have a bag recycling box? I also use those for trash bags out in our craft room and in our school room.

    Letitia

    ReplyDelete
  8. What GREAT ideas ! Did you use the #6 plastic to do the shrinky dink ? If so I want to try. Could you give more instructions ? I need summer ideas. [0=


    Blessings and ((HUGS)) my SSiC

    In Him<><

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete