Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Couple of Almost Free Days




We have been blessed with a couple of almost free, fun-filled days.  I am really trying to come up with family events that don't cost anything.  On Saturday we hit the jackpot for free fun stuff.  First, we went to Lowe's Build It With Kids' Club.  The kids got to make a hand-held ball game.  Personally, I think that Home Depot's kids' club has better thought out kits that last longer.  However, the point was a kid-friendly, free day.  Lowe's was also doing an event with GMC.  They were holding a test drive of GMC cars in return for a Lowe's $15 gift card.  My husband drove a pick-up truck and spent his gift card on a new garden hose.  He only went over the gift card by a few cents.  Yay! 


We then went to family free day at our regional nature center (which is more like a small zoo).  It was raining, so we had the place just about to ourselves.  We enjoyed playing in puddles and seeing all the new baby animals.  When my son got off work (he volunteers at the nature center), we went home and watched a new DVD that I had bought on clearance awhile back.  I was waiting for a rainy day to pull it out.


We also made it to the last free summer movie at the theater today.  It was Happy Feet and the kids enjoyed the music.  We packed our own soda, popcorn and $1.50 worth of candy from our neighborhood pharmacy.  So, except for gas, we only spent $1.50 on a lot of family fun in the last few days!


I hope you all are finding cheap fun this summer.  To get more ideas, go to Canadagirl.


Blessings, Dawn

7 comments:

  1. Those were some neat ideas! I'm glad you were able to enjoy yourselves.


    For fun in the last couple of days, I baked a peach pie from scratch. The only expense I had was for the peaches, which were on sale. We enjoyed munching on that last night.


    DD and I went to the Y this afternoon to swim. Since our membership is paid for already, the only $ spent was for the gas to drive less than 4 miles round trip.


    We also got a DVD from the library (the Bucket List). Our library is right next to the Y. I'm not sure if we will be able to watch it. I don't know a whole lot about it, but if it's raunchy, we will certainly pull it out w/o watching all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about the Lowe's and Home Depot's build it clubs. I'll have to check it out!!


    I'm not sure if our Nature Center charges a fee.


    These sound like great ideas!!

    Thanks for sharing,

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan (A Happy Heart at Home)July 29, 2008 at 8:15 PM

    That's neat!


    ~Susan

    http://ahappyheartathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Free, and almost free, activities are great, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a lot of free fun to me!! In the distant reaches of my brain I remember hearing about those free build days for the kids and have never checked into them. I will have to do that!


    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great, free fun!

    I like those kid workshops.

    I like Home Depot's better, because it's done outside...Lowes is in a small room, that gets really loud with hammers banging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its almost impossible to do anything for free here except go to the park. However, all stuff is pretty cheap. Movies are $3 for me, $2 for the older kids and $1 for the 5 year old-and those prices are all the time. The nearest zoo is free for all buy myself and my son-I'm $5 and he's $3. Its a really nice zoo too. All zoos and aquariums and museums are very affordable in Japan-they are a huge deal here.

    Take care!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete