Thursday, October 2, 2008

Friday Show and Tell ~ International Night







To see more great Show and Tells, get on over to Canadagirl.


We really enjoyed our unit study on Italy.  The kids worked very hard to get all of their projects done and complete their book reports for Homeschool International Night.  There were about 15 families present from our homeschool support group and lots of great countries to learn about. 





The kids studied Masquerade masks which originated in Venice.  They decided to dress up like Venetians during Carnival with their own homemade masks.  Even dh (far right) wore an extra mask.





The display table came out nice.  I was a little worried that everything would not fit.





In the third photo is a close up view of Flat Stanley (lower right), who made it all the way to Italy and back with my Dad and Stepmother.  My dad took some great shots of Flat Stanley all around Italy.  He even got a bit silly and put poor Stanley in a police car. LOL!





The kids made a model of Venice.  Their favorite fact about Venice is that there is no sewer system.  The waste just goes into the canals and is washed out to sea with the tides.  Yuck!





Here are many of the books we used!  Tom Sawyer did a book report on The Clown of God, and Goldilocks did a book report of Papa Piccolo.  The big teen studied The Prince  and Leonardo Da Vinci's life.





We served Italian meatballs and Italian soft candy as our food contribution.


It was a great night.  There were lots of great foods to taste and fun fellowship.  I was pleased to see how much my kiddos had retained and were able to tell others.  The surprise of the night for us was to learn that our Little Red Ridinghood was the social bug of our family!  She stood at the table much of the night showing off our display.


Blessings, Dawn

18 comments:

  1. We do something like this every year at our homeschool geography fair.

    I think your Italy exhibit turned out great. The masks you made were awesome.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome exhibit! Love the costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kids did a great job, Dawn! The display looks so good and I love the costumes.


    Our International Day is coming up in a few weeks, but we're just going to observe this year.


    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great inspiration for me here!!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!!! They did a great job!!! I LOVE the flat Stanley idea!! How cool is that?! I bet your kids will retain this for a long time!!


    We did something like this as a year-end project with our co-op in May and it was a hit. We may have to do it this year with the 50 states!!! Hmmm...


    Thanks for the reminder! : }



    Thanks for sharing,


    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how your display turned out. And it is neat that your Flat Stanley could help you out, too. Very nice.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like everyone had a great time and learned alot in the process. Those meatballs looked really good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is all fantastic! My ds1 is looking over my shoulder taking in all these great ideas.


    http://a-skip-in-my-step.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a fun night, it might be fun to do with our group.


    Having lived in Italy (Air Force child)....I thought Venice was incredibly dirty and not very romantic. I liked the farming villages around where we lived much better. lol


    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like the night was a HIT ! Good Job you guys ! It shows that you put a lot of time and effort into it. [0= I sure wish I could have been there for the tasting. [0;


    Blessings and ((HUGS))

    In Him<><

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great display! I bet your kids learned way more that they will retain than if they'd just read about Italy in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. PeterRabbitPreschoolOctober 4, 2008 at 3:04 PM

    I really appreciated the comments we exchanged,and couldn't exit from the blogging world without saying hello...

    Well, I couldn't bring myself to blog...as we've decided over the summer to send my daughter to four year old preschool this fall. We're thinking "one child, one year at a time". For this year, it seems like the right thing to do for our family for our oldest - once I started thinking about it, couldn't write anymore! I realize this doesn't mean I have to exit from blogging, but somehow, I think I need to...we are all doing well (including the baby who is now 9 months old!) Our daughter really likes school and it does seem to be the right decision...May the Lord bless you in your endeavors this year on the home-front with your children! We may return to home-schooling another year, I still believe it's a wonderful option.

    in Christ,

    Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! We don' have an official homeschooling group - but we do have several homeschooling friends that try to organize things together for the kids. I will be suggesting international studies now! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool! Reminds me of projects I used to do in like 5th grade or so...

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful education your children are getting and you should be proud.


    We use Joy Hakim's A History of US, too, and the children love it. That series, along with Bauer's Story of the World (which we use for World History), helped my son determine that he wants to major in history in college--at 10 years old, he's got a ways to go (smile). I think what I took from his conversation is that he loves history.


    You've offered true wisdom in choosing a path for high school. I'm trying to incorporate some of the same ideas that you're speaking of as we put together a plan for the oldest.



    I'm hoping I can get your help on something. I need to tap into your kinesthetic and creative side to get hands-on suggestions for a product I'm currently developing. Would you have an opportunity to help me? We could e-mail offline, if that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the masks and everyone did a great job on their projects. Bet it was a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE this, it really turned our wonderful, what a great project.


    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  18. You all amaze me with how crafty and clever you are.

    It looks like you all had a wonderful time with this study and sharing it, too.

    ReplyDelete