Saturday, September 25, 2010

Trip ... Day Five and Six

On our second to last day, we went back to Great Falls Park to go on the C&O Canal ride. I love historic reenactments, and this one was a favorite of mine as a child.  The Canal is run just the way it was during the 1800's. We went through a lock twice and the crew was in period dress.



They taught us how a lock opens and fills or drains. The captain even had a display that the kids could handle.


Preparing to open the lock.  The person doing this job needs good balance.

Did you know that it takes a female horse and a male donkey to make a mule?  It does not work the other way around and two mules can not reproduce.


Mules on the tow path.


Tom Sawyer got to blow the horn that calls out the lock keeper at the end of the ride.

On our last day, we attended the International Children's Festival at Wolf Trap National Park.  My Mother took me to this Festival every year when I was a child.  We saw several performances from all around the world.  However, the kids liked the musical instrument and petting zoo exhibits the best.




The musical instrument exhibit was hands-on, so the kids got to try out several different instruments, including  trombone, trumpet, violin, saxophone, and percussion instruments.


The kids also enjoyed working on a mosaic.

We had a wonderful trip and the kids got to experience lots of new things.

Blessings,

Dawn

5 comments:

  1. Oh that is a good combination at the DC canal. I can't find all that on-line. We'll definitely look into that.
    Blessings,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks as if you had great fun--the pics are extraordinary. You'll be able to look back at these memories for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fantastic trip. I'm so envious!! We didn't get to head up to DC two years ago when we were in the area. I'm hoping next summer or the summer after we can hit it. It should be alot of fun for us too! Have a wonderful trip adn enjoy your time with family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like so much fun! I hope I remember all of this when we go to DC! You'll have to help me when we get around to planning the trip. I would love to see the canal.

    I love that you are able to take your children to all of these fun things you enjoyed as a child! Sweet!

    Blessings
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even your vacations are educational! And delightfully fun, too!
    I love historic parks like that - that is really neat that they let them handle musical instruments like that. I've never been anywhere that they did that before. Your daughter looks like a natural with that violen in her arms! I love her dress.
    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete