Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Study of Book, OUR HUNGRY PLANET

So this week we studied the book, Our Hungry Planet.  It depicts one family chosen from each of a variety of different countries and then shows what each family eats in a week, as well as where the food comes from and how it is prepared.  The little ones had a great time trying to figure out which country looked most like our week of food.  We took a picture of our week's worth of food and then had the kids compare the photo to the families in the book.  The kids could not agree on which was closest to our diet.  Tom Sawyer thought we looked most like Italy, which was close, but I think he was just in love with the pasta.  He simply adores pasta!  Little Red Ridinghood and Goldilocks went back and forth between Poland (problem ~ they had a lot of candy bars) and Bosnia (problem ~ they had a lot more potatoes and not as much fresh fruit).  They finally decided on Poland because of the concentration of yogurt and lots of carrots with very little meat.  The big teen leaned toward the family in Australia that concentrated on eating healthily.  They all agreed that we didn't eat like any of the American families in the book.  They also thought trying the week's worth of food from Mexico looked yummy (heavy on coke and chips) and were completely grossed out by the diets of Mali and Chad (they are used to meat in a package, not freshly slaughtered).  Here is our week's worth of food ~





The contents are as follows:  yeast, 2 lbs peanuts, popcorn, two cans tomato sauce, 1 lb hamburger, two packages lunch meat, 1 lb bacon, 1 lb hot dogs, 14 apples, 20 eggs, two frozen pie crusts, ketchup, 3 lbs of cheese, two packs of croissants, 1 lb noodles, 1 lb of spaghetti, 3 cups sugar, 12 tea bags, about 5 cups of canola oil, 1 gallon milk, 15 cups of oatmeal,  two cans of chili beans, 3 cans tuna, honey, peanut butter, 64 oz organic yogurt, 5 lbs of flour, 2 lb of spaghetti sauce, 1/2 gallon of cookies and cream organic ice cream, 3 lbs of vegetable melody, a large bag of salad, two large containers of strawberries and blueberries, 4 cups of raisins, two 96 oz containers of apple juice, 32 oz of salsa, bag of corn chips, two sticks of butter, and 18 bananas (mayo and ranch dressing not shown).  We are so blessed to have this much food! 


I don't think we have cheated from this list of food yet, except for eating chocolate ice cream with sprinkles as is our tradition when my dd's tooth fell out.  We will probably not use the fixings for chili and do something else, since it is already in the high 80's here.  As you can see, there is a lack of any bread.  I made my own bread, rolls, cupcakes and muffins this week.  We also do not like oatmeal until it is turned into granola, so we made that as well.  My kids would eat fruit all day if I let them, so I spend a good portion of our grocery budget on that.  We also try to eat only organic free-range meat, so we only have meat a few times a week and in small portions (1 lb of meat for all six of us).  Meat is used more like a flavoring in our home.  Also, the bag of peanuts were donated by a friend, and we ended up making peanut butter out of them (which got mixed reviews). 


This turned out to be a really fun study, and I think the kids did learn some of the goals I hoped they would.  For one, they got to see how little food some people get to eat and how lucky they are to have so much food to eat.  Remember when you were a kid sitting over that dish crying about not wanting to eat it, and your mom said, "Somewhere in Africa some child would love to eat that"?  Well, I have the book to prove it, and I hope my kiddos remember that for awhile.  They also got to learn about lots of different cultures, which is always a good thing.  Next week ~ pen pals!


Blessings, Dawn

11 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn,

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm not sure if I was 'brave' or just plain 'crazy' to let the boys get so muddy. I figure - there only kids once - let them be crazy once in awhile. :) What a neat study you did with the food and different countries. I love to bake breads etc. myself. I found a bulk muffin mix online with a huge variety of variations. I'm anxious to try it out. Hope you have a great day! -Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to get that book. It is really interesting to see how what you eat stacks up to people around the world. I'm going through health kick at the moment and am trying more sprouted grain recipes and homemade yogurt.


    Are you doing AWOA next year or another study that focuses on Egypt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a very cool study!!!


    Alison of Wayzley Academy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a way to bring geography to a personal level. We try to shop 'organically' also but sometimes it's hard to find. We are waiting for the Food Faire to open soon which will make it a whole lot easier. Hot here, too. 90's + for the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to take a photo and compare your families food to the book!


    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is very different than the way we shop around here. We do not get things in packages. Even our chicken comes with some feathers still on it and heads and feet too. My dd loves to wash it and take out all the insides. After reading through your most recent entries with her, she asked if we could dissect the next goldfish that dies..... Your photos are very inspiring!!!

    Thanks for visiting my blog, I have finally got time to start catching up...


    blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fascinating post!

    I am going to have to get that book. I think i shall frame it and put it on the kitchen wall as a reminder to my kids for all their days.......nah, they really are pretty good about eating. We will have to read the book, though.


    I loved seeing what y'all eat in a week. It's different from how we eat......Americans are so different even in one neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved seeing your food for the week!! I can't imagine what all of ours would look like--all out like that--for all 11 of us. Giggle. Unfortunately the busy-ness of our life right now has brought us back to eating a lot more SAD--which makes me sad. Trying to get out of that rut again and back to healthy eating. Can't wait for our blackberries to ripen!! Mmmm!! Anyway, just trying to catch up with what's been going on in your little corner of blogdom!! :-) Blessings! Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, I love homemade Bread and Rolls! What a great time to study this with all that is being discussed about the world "food crisis" and climate change. This looks like a good book - thanks for including the link. I am planning for next year and I know my kids would enjoy any study that has to do with food ;0) Thanks also for your encouraging words on my blog re: High School ! Said a prayer for big teen's heart issues to be resolved and your family to continue in peace. Blessings to you all - Meritk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I get the best ideas from you! Thanks so much; this book is definitely on my list.


    I also like the way you eat. We're happy to live near several organic farms that also sell raw dairy. I've been making my own kefir and kombucha tea, which has been fun.


    Denise

    ReplyDelete