Thursday, December 4, 2008

This Week's Charity...

We hope to do a charity each week in December.  We started the last week of November with giving a bag of food to the food bank Christmas drive.

This week the kids and I decided to buy diapers, wipies and a Cabbage Patch doll for a teen parenting program called Mother Love based at our local YWCA.  This program helps teen mothers stay in school and learn how to juggle parenting, work, and finish school.  For anyone who may be shaking their heads at this being our chosen charity because they think I am advocating teenage pregnancy, I am not. 

I feel silly even mentioning this, but I have encountered so many Christians who say they are pro-life yet feel that supporting teen mothers in any way encourages them to have children out of wedlock.  This is simply not the case.  I know from personal experience that a helpful hand only enables the teen mother to climb out of her hole and be able to parent better and become independent.  In everything I do, I try to ask, "What would Jesus do?".  I feel that Jesus would forgive the young woman for her untimely pregnancy and thank her for giving the baby life.  I think He would reach out and help her.  Of course, adoption is a great option but not one that a teen mother often chooses.  The third option is a horrible one and exactly what the professed pro-lifer is against.

Anyhow~let me get off my soapbox.  The kids decided on size two diapers because, as Little Red Ridinghood said, "12-18 pound babies are so adorable and chunky".  They walked the gifts in, and we talked to the director about what possible things we could do in the future.  I am not up to mentoring at this time but perhaps teaching a parenting class in the future or something else would be useful. The kids want to take diapers there again so we probably will.  I am glad that they got another opportunity to feel that warm feeling of giving.



Blessings, Dawn


8 comments:

  1. I think it is just sad that you would have to even make a case in defense of yourself for choosing such a ministry.


    I think what you are doing is great. An inspiration, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a wonderful charity. Being pro-life means so much more than just being anti-abortion. These teen moms need our support for choosing life for their children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a beautiful way to celebrate the season.


    lori / http://www.campcreekpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. People who have made a mistake will live with the consequences their whole lives. Punishment and judgment should be reserved for God Almighty. Helping a young, unmarried mother, supporting and showing His love and mercy is a wonderful thing. I think it is GREAT what you are doing and also teaching your children. It is an excellent alternative to cold blooded murder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pastor Kirbyjon Caldwell, who was President Bush's (the son, not the father) "official" pastor, was our pastor for many years. More than once from the pulpit he's made the very same or similar comment as you made about what pro-life really means. He would also speak of how people who consider themselves pro-life won't join in causes that help make a disadvantaged child's life better. I do pray that we take a more holistic approach to this issue; anti-abortion awareness is only the tip of this iceberg.


    You've inspired me with your idea about a weekly charity. I've been far too self-absorbed, and it would probably help me to try and relieve someone else's pain. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn,


    What a wonderful and generous thing!! I love that idea. Just because these girls have made a mistake, it doesn't mean we should turn our backs on them. As you states, Jesus wouldn't. Guiding them, nuturing them, counseling them is the only viable solution.


    Have a wonderful Christmas season!

    Michelle in Japan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really? Around here us pro-lifers do what we can to help unwed mothers. Blessings to y'all for helping with the charities!

    Blessings,

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a teen mom, and have personally felt the judgement of many people....Christian or non. If it hadn't of been for some wonderfully supportive parents and family, I am not sure how well things would have turned out for me and my child. Now, by the grace of God, I am happily married, the mother of 3, and homeschooling.


    God has a plan for everyone, regardless of their past. It is wonderful that you ministered to these yound women!!

    ReplyDelete