Sunday, March 22, 2009

Another Milestone

Well, my youngest lost her very first tooth today. That means that we have just passed another milestone in our home. Since she is the youngest, today was the "Very Last First Tooth" milestone. Oh, my! They grow up so fast. Sometimes the days seem so long, but the years are so fleeting. 


Her new big girl tooth was coming in behind the baby tooth so it is already starting to poke through. The other bottom baby tooth is pretty loose, too. We may get to celebrate twice this week. We do not do the tooth fairy tradition anymore. Our youngest son is very serious about honesty. He didn't like the idea of a tooth fairy coming into his room to look under his pillow at night. He was alarmed about that and even more alarmed when he found out that adults in society make things up, such as the tooth fairy, Easter bunny, and Santa. So early on, we got rid of the tooth fairy tradition. Now we do an ice cream sundae. Since we are on a dairy-free, gluten-free diet, we do a Rice Dream sundae instead. The one who lost the tooth gets to pick out the type of Rice Dream/Soy Dream flavor and which two toppings to go on it. Little Red Riding Hood picked strawberry with pastel sprinkles and organic gummy drops. This morning we got to have sundaes on Sunday for breakfast, which the kids thought was really cool. LOL


Blessings, Dawn

9 comments:

  1. I love the Sundae idea - that sounds like such fun!

    Look at those pretty eyes on your Red Ridinghood - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks so cute! We don't do tooth fairies or that stuff either; I love your sundae idea...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also don't do the whole 'lie' thing. I mean why teach our children to tell the truth but then hypocritically (for all the right reasons) tell them lies??? Doesn't make sense to me. I have one very literal child who is very quick to point out inconsistencies, which keeps me on my toes!!! We researched the tooth fairy thing and we are pretty glad we don't do it!!

    Well done on your milestone, they are all growing *sniff*


    Blessings to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't do the tooth fairy either. This sounds like a great tradition!


    Erna @ Simply Lapbooks or The Beautiful Sojourn

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun! My younger son just recently got his first loose tooth. He hasn't lost it yet. He's going to be 7 on Sunday. I was beginning to wonder if he actually had any permanent teeth! We don't do the tooth fairy either. I like your ice cream sundae idea. We may try that. Of course it may just be birthday cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya know, it's a little scary how similar some of our traditions are! I'm glad I get to go to Sonic for a smoothie, though, and don't have to do the Rice Dream anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute! I love your sundaes tradition; I may borrow that one. (I wonder just how many traditions/projects/ideas I've borrowed from you! lol) We have never done the tooth fairy thing, BUT they boys learned it from their cousin. It's sad to see them struggle between what I've told them and what their cousin tells them.


    I also loved what you wrote about the days sometimes being so long but the years so fleeting. SO true...


    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those milestones can be bittersweet, can't they? (((Dawn))) I love the sundae tradition - that would be a hit around here too.


    Blessings,

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice idea for a Sundae party for the lost tooth. We have never done the Tooth Fairy, Santa, or Easter Bunny thing either. But we did celebrate the first lost tooth with a trip to the store where they picked out any new toothbrush they wanted and a little gift of their choice.

    I know what you mean about how the days seem long but the years too short. Bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete