Sunday, March 29, 2009

Our Plans for Ancient China

We are starting our unit study on Ancient China. The kids have been waiting for this ever since we went to the High Museum in Atlanta to see the Terracotta Warriors. We have lots of great plans for the next few weeks. We will be using Story of the World as our base and lots of great books as supplements. At the High Museum gift shop, I was able to buy some inexpensive, little stone Terracotta Warriors for the kids to study. Here is a rundown of what we plan on doing.   
  • Make a lap book    
  • Learn some calligraphy   
  • Make a Great Wall of China replica    
  • Learn about and play with Tangrams    
  • Have a green tea testing party    
  • Make and paint clay pandas    
  • Learn about and fly a kite    
  • Make our own Terracotta Warriors    
  • Work with our abacus to increase counting skills by 2's (10's for Goldilocks)    
  • Study and make a map of the Silk Road
To supplement Story of the World, we will be reading:
  • We're Riding in a Caravan (all about the Silk Road) 
  • The Seven Chinese Brothers
  • Ms. Frizzle's Adventures, Imperial China
  • The Warlord's Kites (This is a great math/literature series)
  • The Warlord's Beads




UPDATE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The kids loved learning about Tangrams. They started off building with just the seven tiles but quickly moved on to using all of the tiles for their masterpieces.

(swan)


(a dancing woman)


(rocket)

The kids also really enjoyed learning some Chinese calligraphy. 

(symbol on left means tree and the two on the right mean field)

We also had a blast this week watching this YouTube movie on the Great Wall of China. It is really worth it if you are studying this time period.

Blessings, Dawn

9 comments:

  1. Sounds too fun! Happy Learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, wow! I'm impressed! How fun and interesting is that! I loved doing unit studies in grade school. Enjoy it. We did one on ancient Rome and made the clay tablets and stylus and it was a blast. I miss those days.

    SuzyScribbles

    www.suzyscribbles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for showing us once again all the NEAT things you are doing in your hs. [0= It is good for me to see very creative lesson plans. I need to spice up my lessons very much !


    Blessings and ((HUGS)) my SSiC

    In Him<><

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo, you and I are going to become even better friends when I begin Eastern Hemisphere history with our son on next year. These are the types of creative activities that don't even cross my mind when making curriculum decisions--prayerfully, I'll get there before the youngest child graduates. Write me at belinda.bullard@blessedheritage.com and let me know how you're varying your green tea--all I know is Lipton vs. Celestial Seasonings--LOL!


    How exciting, yet scary, it must be to have one graduating. Sometimes when the oldest gets on my last nerve I think, 4 more years! Yet I know I'll probably have to repent of worry once she heads out of our home.


    My template has been acting strange lately, and it looks as if yours has, too. I wonder if something is going on with HSB?


    Anyway, thanks so much for your encouraging comment about choice. It is perhaps my own sensitivity, but I always feel the pressure to post an entry that would imply that the kids skip to the table each day. I always wonder what will be the comments when I post otherwise (perhaps a sign that I need to turn off my comments feature if it's driving what I post, huh?). It's wonderful to meet someone else who is willing to state her convictions about homeschooling without guilt or stain. I can see in your children all the many benefits. God bless you, Dawn.


    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like SO much fun! I have been slacking in the "fun" area lately and really need to get back into that. Good ideas. Thanks for sharing!


    -- Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are one amazing teacher. I hope your saving all of these blogs, and some day, compile them - and publish a book.

    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds fun. My kids would be jealous of your kids with all the hands-in projects. Your kids look very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like fun!


    http://tc-twistedfairytale.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like so much fun! I loved seeing your kids and their projects too. Enjoy!


    Blessings,

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete