Monday, March 9, 2009

Update on Our Diet

I've received many questions about our special diet. We are doing well. We got back chocolate on Valentine's Day. We saw very little reaction. However, we really overdid the chocolate consumption and Tom Sawyer had trouble going to sleep. So far we have not been able to eat out with much success. Tom Sawyer has had accidents almost every time we have eaten out, even though we thought the food was safe. Also, Goldilocks's eyes have turned purple and grey underneath whenever we have eaten out as well. Still, I think we are seeing an improvement in behavior with both Goldilocks and Tom Sawyer. They get through the day without seeming quite so irritable. I am able to push them just a bit harder to get through things that before would have been asking too much of them. However, there is still a lot to work on in their behavior.

Basically, we eat an abundance of fruit with homemade hash browns, garbanzo bean biscuits or an egg for breakfast. For lunch, we eat lots of salads (lettuce, nuts, veggies without dressing or a little organic mayonnaise) with rice/rice cake/or homemade french fries. Sometimes, we have rice cake sandwiches with organic lunchmeat and fruit. Dinner consists of organic meat/veggies/rice or rice noodles. Snacks can tend to be the hardest thing of all. Filling them up seems to be a real problem. I've found that something either chewy or that they can suck on seems to be more satisfying to them. They like homemade popsicles, fruit, raisins and peanuts, popcorn (however, I am not sure whether or not Tom Sawyer should be having corn), and store bought gluten-free pretzels. They also love organic dried fruit bars. For dessert, the kids love Rice Dream ice cream; homemade chocolate Rice Dream fudgesicles; homemade gluten-free blondies; store-bought, gluten-free cookies; and organic jelly beans. Luckily, they were used to only getting ten M&M's before for dessert, so they are happy with 10 to 15 jelly beans for dessert now. After all, organic candy is expensive! 

In fact, eating this way is indeed expensive. We are hoping to offset the cost of this diet by planting a really good garden this year. We also hope to purchase a freezer and buy a half of a grass-fed cow. With the leftover space in the freezer, we can freeze veggies from our garden. We also plan on going berry picking and making refrigerator jam. I am not ready to learn how to can food but find that jams and sauces last long enough in the fridge. My kids could eat homemade jam and applesauce straight from the jar. 

Well, that is where we are now. We are pleased with the diet so far. I can't wait to see my dh's cholesterol results next month. I hope they will have improved. We are all feeling healthier. Having Tom Sawyer be dry at night is so worth the effort of learning a new way of eating. If I have not answered somebody's question, please ask again. I'll answer you if I can.

Blessings, Dawn 

 

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that you're getting good results, Dawn!


    Our autism group has been talking about how to make the diet a bit more affordable. Lots of us are doing what you mentioned, and planning gardens and buying organic meats in bulk. Do you belong to a co-op? I get food from a local co-op and from United Natural Foods.


    For us, snacks and eating out are the toughest part of the diet. We had to stop the GF pretzels for now, so we pack bags of fruit for snacks, and popcorn.


    Do you eat any of the Enjoy Life foods? We love their snacks!


    Keep us posted on how you're doing, okay?


    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...that must be hard to stick with a diet like that.

    I think that I take that for granted around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you are really getting good results, I'm glad to hear it. My one child is super sensitive to caffeine products (even in chocolate) and this affects the getting to sleep part of the routine. It is so interesting to hear about organic sweets..... it is not something I have ever come across here in my neck of the woods.


    Getting children filled up on limited snacks is tricky. I would love to hear what else you come up with :)


    Blessings


    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Dawn. I'm so glad that the diet seems to be doing well. I know its expensive now, but I think your plan on getting a freezer, garden, and organic cow will help the expense alot. Best of luck with planting and freezing!! I wish I had the space to do that in.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dawn, thanks for sharing this, and I'm so glad to see that the diet is going well. Do you perhaps have an organic co-op anywhere near you? Those seem to be popular in our area.


    What a lovely learning corner you have! This looks like such a special time for the kids, and you are so good about posting the results of your studies. I can't wait to see the next unit study output.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are still doing quite well and have gotten into a routine that is more normal. Now if I could just get my husband to not come home with a bunch of delicious looking gluten-filled garbage that we can't eat and set it on the kitchen counter to make me and my oldest two daughters drool over it!


    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grapes, carrots or apple slices and peanut butter, Tostitos, Ruffles (I'm pretty sure those were on the Feingold list once upon a time - ingredients: potatoes or corn, oil and salt), Koala bars (organic rice krispy type bars that I find at Wal Mart for a good price - these work great for road trips), homemade popsicles, banana-peanut butter-choc.chip muffins (gluten free of course). If you can find a good gf pancake recipe that you like, it makes a good sandwich bread for lunches too. Anyway, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents for what it's worth.

    ReplyDelete