Wednesday, March 25, 2009

In the Final Stretch

Fifty-eight days ... that is how many days are left before the Big Teen's graduation. He graduates on May 23 at the homeschool convention in Winston-Salem, with cap and gown and high school diploma. To say we are excited for him is an understatement. We are elated. So many in the medical field said he would not even survive to be making his way into adulthood. However, we are scared for him, as well. I am sure all parents go through these thoughts of "Did we do all that we could to prepare our child for adulthood?" This is doubly so when you are preparing a disabled child to make his way in the world. The Big Teen will continue to live with us for years to come, which gives my Mother's heart a sigh of relief. That will give us more time to fine tune all that we can and guide him on his journey. My Mother wants to have him do a post-graduate year next year that she will supervise, since he's not going on to college. There's still so many things he wants to learn about -- more about world religions, philosophy, US and world history, and world lit. We are very blessed that he is willing to be guided and wants to continue living with us. Nonetheless, a major milestone is on the horizon. 

We are still thinking about all the ways we would like to honor this special event. We will do the formal graduation and a nice dinner out. But it seems like there should be more ~ something else more momentous then just dinner out. We are going to be giving him a bus pass to start learning the bus system better (driving still appears out of the question at this time) and some other things to help him move more into independence. He has very few friends so having a big party doesn't seem logical. Most of our family is out of town. However, one set of grandparents will be coming for graduation and one grandmother lives here. My creative juices are a bit low with all that has to be done to get us through this final stretch. So those of you who have graduated a child or are already thinking of ideas ~ what do you suggest, considering that we have very little funds? 

The next few weeks are going to be used to finish his credit hours in chemistry and algebra. I was afraid that these two subjects would be neglected, because the Big Teen hates them -- and sure enough they have. At least 22 of the 28 credits required in this state for graduation are completed, and there are only a handful of hours left to complete two more of the remaining credits. So we are going to be burning the  midnight oil to complete the hours for algebra and chemistry credits. He will make it, but he is going to have to push a bit. Did I mention Senioritis has kicked in big time for teen and teacher?! I really want him done by May 15 so that we can rest the week before graduation. We shall see if I get my wish. Thankfully, the little ones only have 20 days to go before they have their required 180 days. Woo whoo! They will be done in no time, although they beg for school even on weekends, so I'm not sure they will be pleased about my concentrating only on the Big Teen until May 23.

Blessings, Dawn

15 comments:

  1. I didn't know that he was graduating so soon! How exciting! I have NO creative juices but I'm interested in what others have to say.


    LOVE the video!!


    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations and great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to you and your son. I've graduated 3 so far, 5 more to go. I don't have any ideas for your particular situation but you can look at the photos of my daughter's graduation from last year in the side bar of my blog. Maybe something will inspire you. I try to keep the interests of my children in mind. btw 2 of my graduated children still live with us. They look back to graduation as the day they finally got the state requirements out of the way so they could concentrate on really learning the things that interest them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how awesome! I am graduating child number two end of May and let me tell you I still have the nerves...did we do enough...is he ready ect. And I can only imagin with special needs that you have many more questions! But what a wonderful accomplishment for all of you. Celebrate all of his milestones. We did a picture wall from baby to now and really concentrated on milestones. We just had a simple family party at home with all his favorite foods. Child 2 wants a party with friends ( he actually has more than his brother did). Whatever you do I am sure it will be a happy time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! A Senior. For me that seems so far away and way too close at the same time. My oldest is nine. I know when mine graduate I'll be beaming with pride and have tears rolling down my face at the same time. So I HOPE it's a long ways a way.


    You know, I was homeschooled my senior year and my aunt threw a party for my graduation, which I know you said is out of the question, but here are a few things she did that were kind of fun. All of my siblings (I have 4) each performed something--piano, trumpet, singing, story telling, etc. My mom got me a dozen roses and I think that was my favorite part--that was my first dozen! My dad made a great big picture collage of me through the years, which was really fun. I wish though he had done it as a scrapbook though so that I could still look at it. Anyway, those were some of my favorite things. Another idea is to get a nice journal and start it being mailed around to your relatives and have them write memories and well wishes to your son. If they'll do it and keep it going that would be a special treasure too. Somebody did that for my oldest at her baby shower--no memories though just parenting advice mostly--and I thought then, I'm going to see if I can do this for her with memories and/or advice in it at some big event in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Graduation seems so far away for us, but I know it will be here before we know it. My oldest is starting High School next year (at least "officially", he's doing high school algebra this year). Best wishes on finishing the year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the upcoming graduation! They grow up so fast!


    Enjoyed the video!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wahoo ! You GO girl ! You are one year ahead of me. I am thinking I need to start thinking what we want to do for my ds. We don't have a ceremony for homeschool grads that close. He also said that is not important to him. So I will probably do a dinner and have people pray for him. I will probably hold it at the church building. Plus I have to think what kind of gift do we want to give.


    Thank you so much for sharing this with us. You really sound like things are falling into place. I will pray for you and the continuing of leading your ds in the way he should go.


    Blessings and ((HUGS)) my SSiC

    In Him<><

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt the same insecurity about my son when he graduated 4 years ago and I only homeschooled him his senior year. We can do the best that we can and God will handle the rest. We weren't prepared for everything in the world when we graduated but we are surviving. Learning never stops and your son his a dedicated teacher/mentor.

    My son didn't want a big ta-do for his graduation. We had a small ceremony at a resturant with just the famil. He prefered the money as a gift over the money spent on formalities. So I am no help at all. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to the graduate and the teacher! As for something special...well, my homeschooler is only 9yo, so I haven't put too much thought into celebrating graduation. I liked the idea someone already posted about everyone preparing something special - maybe even a video of each grandparent, parent and sibling telling how much/what they appreciate/remember about the graduate - ?


    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats!! And thanks for the video. It's always so encouraging and fun!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to the big teen for accomplishing his goals. : )

    And congrats to you, Dawn, for helping him accomplish them!

    http://momsmutterings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to you and your son! What an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, he is so close. I would be totally anxious myself.


    I'm sure you've done a fine job in preparing him and will continue to do so in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No advice - just hugs. I don't even like thinking about that day coming - and it's not too far off for me either. (((Dawn)))


    If you have a private time with family, maybe they could share blessings with him as he enters a new stage of life? We've done this with ours and it has been a really special time.


    Blessings,

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete