Wednesday, May 6, 2009

English III ~ U.S. and British Literature

The big teen studied lots of American and British literature for 11th grade. He enjoyed a large selection of books, some challenging for him and others more for enjoyment. Besides reading the books listed below, he also did narrations of the books. In addition, he used the Five in a Row Above and Beyond unit study with the book Hitty~Her First 100 Years. Surprisingly, he really enjoyed this unit study, even though it is based on the travels of a wooden doll. 

Here is a list of the other books he read:   
  • Marlfox - Brian Jacques
  • Tall Sails to Jamestown - Eugenia Stone
  • The Lottery - Anne Jackson
  • The Legend of Bagger Vance - Steven Prestfield
  • Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
  • The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne   
  • The Time Machine - H.G. Wells
  • The Stray - Betsy Wyeth
  • The Gift of The Magi - O. Henry
  • The Old Man and The Sea - Ernest Hemingway
  • Little Men - Louisa Mae Alcott
  • Woodswoman - Anne Bastille
  • The Legend of Luke - Brian Jacques
  • Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe
  • The Jungle - Upton Sinclair
  • Hamlet - William Shakespeare
  • Othello - William Shakespeare
  • Mountain Valor - Gloria Houston
  • Little Women - Louisa Mae Alcott
  • Life is So Good - George Dawson
  • The Bridge to Terabithia - Katherine Patterson
  • The Red Badge of Courage - Stephen Crane
  • The Dark Voyage - Alan Furst
  • Death Be Not Proud - John Gunther
Blessings, Dawn

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the book list. I'm working on a lit class for my 10th grader and continually looking for good books for him to read. We also use online quizzes to test for retention - and I think he likes taking them. Certainly makes giving a grade easy too. :-)


    Blessings

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate this book list. 10th grade is far off, but good books are always appropriate.


    Also, I was looking at that FIAR unit study on Hitty. In fact, I bought the novel already. I can download the guide via Ebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dd read The Scarlet Letter and Uncle Tom's Cabin. My son read a junior version of Red Badge of Courage.

    Blessings,

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definatley going to have to look for that unit study using Hitty. That is one of my all time favorite books. It is one of the few books I have read several times. I've tried to get my daughter interested in reading it just for fun but she has no interest. Is that part of the Five in a Row series?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete