Thursday, May 14, 2009

Friday Show and Tell ~ Routine Chart

I have struggled for some time now to establish a schedule for our family. The main problem in doing this is that every day is different in our home. I kept getting stuck with the time thing. We can't do the same thing at 10 am every day because we are not in the same place at 10 am every day, or any other particular time either. We are not a family that has the luxury of staying home day after day. We have doctor/therapy appointments several days a week and, during Tomatis loops, every single day for hours on end. Then there are the extracurricular classes. This year each child had a choice of one class outside the home.  We often find ourselves struggling through a hectic day in which I have to force one of my children through many transitions. Did I mention that transitions are very, very difficult for two of my kiddos? I finally struck on a schedule chart that is working for us.

Each night I check the weather and calendar for the next day. Then I pull out the 36 cards that I have made so far and put them in order on our schedule for that day. During breakfast we review the plans for today. During the day, the kids can go back to check the chart. It is really helping them know what is coming next. It really helps to reduce reducing fussing about what they had thought up to do versus what we need to do. Everyone is much happier and things are going much more smoothly. 





I made them by using cardstock and putting Velcro on the back. This was so simple and cheap. I think it cost me $3.00 for everything.

Blessings, Dawn

9 comments:

  1. I have one child that doesn't handle transitions well. We too don't have the luxury of being able to stay home every day or all day. So I really like your idea, thanks for sharing!!!


    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this idea!! Being able to have the same items in your routine but the flexibility to switch them around... and the visual it presents for them...AWESOME!


    Thanks for sharing, I think I'm going to try to find me some velcro! ;)


    -Laura

    www.recipesforhappiness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great!

    I am so glad you found something that is working well for your family. Flexible is key to so many things.


    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that you found something that will work so well with your family and for low cost. It is hard when your children don't adjust to changes easily.

    Blessings,

    Pam

    http://momsmutterings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I can count how many good ideas I've gotten from you, Dawn! I'm going to try this because we're in the same boat with the appointments, etc., and I've yet to find anything that makes sense for us.


    How do you handle chores? I have charts for the children, but, sometimes they seem to lose their focus after their morning chores because of our crazy schedule.


    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmmmm sounds neat ! I think I might have to try something like this. I like that you can move it around. [0=


    I love all your GREAT ideas !


    Blessings and ((HUGS))

    In Him<><

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea, as usual, Dawn!

    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! I think children really appreciate knowing what is coming next (some more than others). I know that having a flow to our day has helped several of mine to be much happier and more productive.


    Way to go creating your own successful system!


    Hope to see you this week at NCHE!


    Blessings

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a good idea; I'm not quite so organized lol.

    ReplyDelete