Friday, March 4, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal ... Finally

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

In my life:  A new learning curve is going on in my home. We are busy changing our son's sensory "diet" (a diet of activities that will help him with sensory deprivation). It is all good but a bit overwhelming.

In our Homeschool this week: We are doing a Beyond FIAR unit study on Betsy Ross. The kids and I are loving the book. The best activities according to the kids were eating sourdough bread and learning how to sew buttons onto cloth. Tom Sawyer finished his math book and took a placement test. Not surprisingly, he will be jumping over the next book. The only place where he is still struggling is in carrying with addition. No problem with division or multiplication ... I have to think about this a bit.

Places we are going and people we are seeing: Finally, we had a great field trip. I have been trying to get a field trip group off the ground for some time now. Today we had a great turn out. I think I finally have a group that is coming together. We took a tour of our local health food/organic grocery store. It was lots of fun. The kids got to go through all of the departments.






At the end of the tour, each child was given an apple and a comic book about healthy eating. What a great event!


My favorite thing this week: I am so happy to finally be getting some sensory help for my youngest son. He really needs it and our family needs the calmness I can see in our future. My other favorite thing was my dd Little Red Ridinghood saying that her three favorite things were her family, her blanket and her coin collection. It is nice that family comes first.

What's working/not working for us: Keeping one day a week a totally at-home day is such a good thing for us. I am glad I have kept that a strict rule.

To see more great posts on Homeschool Mother's Journal, go to Homeschool Chick.

Blessings,
Dawn

6 comments:

  1. I have been thinking of using Beyond FIAR with my nine year old...what do you like about it? I use FIAR already with my six year old and we are fans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea for a field trip. Wish we had an organic store in town to do this.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful fieldtrip. Looks like you had a great week--thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I just started following you from Mothers Homeschool Journal.

    Sounds like a great field trip. We have had the opportunity to go on two different grocery store field trips. It was interesting to see how they did things differently.

    Martha
    Marthaschool.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this post! Thanks for stopping by Under the Golden Apple Tree!

    I have been wanting to join in on the homeschool mother's journal for a while...I need to do that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a great meme--Hmmm...I need something because there are a number of homeschooling, "this is what we're doing today" type of posts that I'd love to get out there (now with two computers back in shape--lol). Yet, when I saw the 'who we're seeing' category, I put on the breaks. We've not gone any farther than the dance center and the basketball game in the last several weeks. Our spring break is next week, and girlfriend, do I need it!

    ReplyDelete