Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Fun New Hobby

My big teen got a GPS reciever for his birthday, and he is having a lot of fun learning how to use it.  This weekend we decided to go on a geocaching hunt.  We had so much fun that it will probably become a fun family hobby.  Basically, you go to the web site in the link mentioned above and become a member for free.  You then find a geocache in your area that you want to find.  Then you lock in the coordinates and off you go on a quest.  The coordinates take you very close to the geocache (a box with little knick knacks in it) and then you have to search for it.  Some are easier to find than others.  


We found two on Saturday and stuck to easy ones, since we were wandering around with the little kids.  The first box was a tiny plastic container that we never would have found without the GPS and clues, even though it was right on a major road.  The second was on a park trail and was in plain view with the coordinates.  It was an ammo-box and had lots of little toys in it.  The kids traded in marbles and magnets for a Matchbox car and My Little Pony brush.  I forgot to take a picture of the second one.  


This was a fun activity for everyone but for different reasons.  My big teen loved wandering around in the woods and playing with the GPS.  My dh loved the new gadget, and the littles loved trading in old trinkets for new ones.  Of course, I loved seeing my family have fun, but now I have a new secret desire! These geocaches are like my new Goodwill.  I can get rid of all kinds of little things (like McDonald toys) in these boxes!  My kids won't even notice if we put more in the boxes than we take out.  So, actually, geocaching can be another way of getting rid of stuff!!  Yippee!  The last box even had kid videos and CDs in it.  Now I know where to put those videos I don't want anymore.  LOL!!  


What's more, they have Flat Stanley boxes in our area, and a friend told me that her family's Flat Stanley made it all the way to a geocache in Canada.  How cool is that?  We plan on doing a Flat Stanley next school year, and I was wondering how to make him travel.  Anyway, if you don't know what I am talking about, go check out www.geocaching.com -- it really is fun.  


Here are some photos.  I have no idea why Tom Sawyer looks so grouchy, because he really did have fun.











Blessings, Dawn

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this. We've not gotten into the geocaching thing, but I think from what you described my clan would dig it! I even think we have a gps, so we'll have to give it a try!

    Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so fun. We have been talking about trying this- we need to get a gps first but hopefully soon! Thanks for the explanation though and the pictures because it helped me better understand how it works. It will be good exercise too- wondering about looking for the boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like so much fun!! I've read about it before but we haven't done it yet, can't really in Japan! Maybe we'll try that when we return to the states!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never heard of such an activity. How interesting!

    Blessings,

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. to have you as a blogging buddy. I always enjoy it when you stop by, and thanks. It looks like you had a treasurable time with the boys in the woods. I am looking to organize my art studies a bit during the summer, and I'm hoping to tap you offline and get some ideas. Let me know if that would be okay, and hopefully, we'll exchange an e-mail or two soon.


    ReplyDelete