Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I Love This New Chore System

We started using Managers of Their Chores almost two weeks ago and so far, so good.  The kids were already doing chores but not always to the standard I wanted, and the house was not really organized.  I usually just looked around and saw what needed to be done and barked out orders to do it or got fed up with the state of the house and canceled school for the day to clean.  With this system, I was forced to sit down and figure out what really had to happen in a day and who was up to doing it.  Now everything that has to be done is done before little ones go to bed, and I have more time to get extra stuff done.  I also have more time to (gasp) rest in the evening. 


What's more, the kids are doing an average of two more chores a day than before, and most of them are loving it.  Tom Sawyer has never been much for chores and needs lots of training around doing his chores with a happy heart.  However, even he is stepping up to the plate and getting it done.  So what is so different about this system than others?  Well, I think one big mistake I was making was doing "sweeps" instead of the same list of chores.  Somehow nothing was ever completed.  Also, this program really helps the challenged housekeeper, like me, really break down the chores into smaller segments.  I used to tell my teen ~ "Go clean the kitchen,"  instead of breaking it down into separate jobs, such as, clean the stove and frig, fill the dishwasher, etc.  Breaking everything down has really helped all my kiddos do a better job.  The other thing I love is adding in some personal chores, like getting dressed and coming out of your room with a good attitude.  My Goldilocks' first card has a smiley face on it to reminder her that I expect a good attitude out of her.


That brings me to the chore cards.  Instead of the chores being posted somewhere, the kids wear their chores in little packets that clip onto their clothes.  Their chores are with them so that they can check and see what to do next.  This gives them excellent accountability and saves a lot of yelling up and down the stairs about what to do next.  My non-readers have picture cards that tell them what to do.  Also, I love how I can rotate the cards to meet each day's needs.  All the cards are numbered so they know the order to work through them, so I have a lot of cards with the number 6 on them.  That way I can rotate the six chores each day, and we get some of those weekly things taken care of.


There have been some problems, of course.  I had to rework the cards twice because of "traffic jams" or kids waiting for others to get something done so that they could do their particular chore.  Also, about 5 days into it, the work got a bit sloppy; and I had to go back and do a better job checking their chores.  Plus, Tom Sawyer doesn't like wearing his and has managed to lose it twice.  But because the house is so much more put together, I found it quickly.  Anyway, I am super-excited about this routine.  Hey, my dh asked me to make him a chore pack to wear around, too.  Can you believe it?!

The photos show Little Red Ridinghood and Goldilocks clearing the table, cleaning off plates and putting away dishes from the dishwasher.  You've got to love Tom Sawyer's attempt at a happy smile while doing laundry.  LOL




















Blessings, Dawn

12 comments:

  1. I have often wondered how the MOTH system worked. I am going to have to check into that more. With 3 kids (and a hubby-lol!), there is too much to stay on top of here without having a routine or schedule.


    Hey, I'd be all over making that chore pack for my hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use Managers of Their Homes, too? I have that, but it hasn't worked too well with some of our special situations. Still, I wondered about Managers of Their Chores, since we've yet to find a good chores system around here.


    I've been reading your blog but haven't had a minute to comment! I loved reading about the toilets on your vacation. :)


    Oh, and you commented about hospitals; I was actually referring to Children's Hospital in Philadelphia. It's funny, though, because I used to work at Fairfax Hospital when I lived in NOVA a long time ago. Sorry to hear that you had such bad experiences with them!


    Blessings,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used Managers of their Homes for about 5 years now~ Of course, I've done it a bit different to suit our situation, but I learned so much from the Maxwells and thank the Lord for the blessing they have been to my life and that of my family's.

    I don't have the Chore system...yet :) Maybe someday! We do really well usually with chores around here...we have to...with so many little ones it is either everyone pitch in or it is chaos! I love the ideas of the pictures...I think my younger ones would just love that. Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also use both MOTC and MOTH... I love anything the Maxwells put out. I need to re-do the Chores as people have gotten out of the habit with this difficult pregnancy I have had, but we run much, much smoother when I do it.


    And you are right... the key (and my weakness) is CHECKING the chores after they are done.


    Now if I could just find the TIME, when I am not totally tired or throwing up, to re-do the charts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting. I'm thinking of re-vamping our chore system this summer because my old one has lost some of its appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great system!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've enjoyed catching up on your posts. Your lapbooks look great.

    I gave this a try several years ago, and it stressed me out! : ) I do have a chore system, though, and it makes things go much smoother, and much more gets done.

    Letitia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your son's expression as he's hauling that laundry around. I think I wear a similar one when I'm collecting the mountains six people create.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are probably using something similar with the kids' binder system. They are older than most of your children and probably wouldn't like the cards, but it sounds like a great system. As with anything the hard part is adjusting it to fit our own circumstances and the follow through. Oh the dreaded follow through. I get so tired of sending the kids back to do something right that they sometimes wear me down. But your right to keep on it. Hope it continues to bless your household. Great pics of the kids in action.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will have to look at that system more closely if it is at our conference in June. The Maxwell's were speakers at ours last year.


    Loved the laundry face...doesn't appear he was quite so happy with that job at the moment!


    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been really thinking of this. I think I will go for it. I loved seeing your dc doing so well. Yeah for success !!!


    Thank you sooooooo muchf for your prayers (((((HUGS)))))


    Blessings and ((hugs)) my SSiC

    In Him<><

    -Mary


    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Post, Dawn! Thanks for sharing all this! Glad you're enjoying your new system!

    ReplyDelete