Wednesday, April 16, 2008

We Had a Visitor Today





I thought only cats were known to bring little "gifts" to their owners.  However, our dog, Lady, brought us a "gift" today.  The kids were very pleased with the "gift" but -- me -- not so much!  She brought the snake to my youngest son, who promptly put it into a bug jar.  The kids then researched it on the Internet to decide what kind of snake it was.  A few years ago, my oldest son kept a nest of baby snakes in his room for an entire week BEFORE he figured out that they were Copperheads!  I have no desire for that to happen again!  (The Copperheads moved to our regional nature center.)  The kids couldn't figure out what kind of snake it was.  I know some of you are thinking, your son is an intern in the reptile section of the nature center ~ How does he not know what kind of snake it is?  That is a good question that I posed to him.  He says it is hard to tell when they are babies, but he was pretty sure it was a corn snake.  Pretty sure is just not good enough for me!  Bye-bye, Mr. or Ms. Snake.  The kids did enjoy drawing pictures of him/her, so I guess we at least got in a nature study.



The little snake was released to a vacant lot up the street from our house.  So do any of you let unknown critters live in your home, or do they have to go bye-bye?


Blessings, Dawn

8 comments:

  1. No, no, no, no, no! They are not allowed!!!!! I read this last night and I am still recovering from this! ;)

    Blessings,

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. All creatures MUST stay outside at our house!! I'm not sure how you got any sleep with that inside, I think I would have dreamed about snakes crawling around...eeww!


    laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. We found a turtle in the back yard the other day, it never got into the house! We just watched it, touched, picked up and then set free. No outside creatures in MY house with ME!

    You're brave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. blessedwith2angelsApril 18, 2008 at 4:53 AM

    Unknown critters around our house must go bye-bye, especially snakes. I admire your bravery.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not much of a snake fan and with so many dangerous ones in our area there would be no way I would let my kids keep one in their rooms. You are a brave mom. My son did have 6 lizards at one time in his tank for a Scout project (Reptile and Amphibians), and last summer he raised polywogs to tree frogs in the garage but I, too, had him release them into the wild after his study. Nothing like nature up close and personal, huh? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. My ds#3 is always finding critters I'd rather not have around. He LOVES bugs and lizards. Thankfully no snakes around yet. :{ Last year I think he found a dried lizard and wanted to keep it. I told him instead we would take a picture of him holding it and keep that. :) He's my one we used to catch with a bug in his mouth when he was a baby crawling around. I just hope he doesn't insist on a snake for a pet someday. Gives me the creeps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Critters like that aren't welcome here! They have their turf & I have mine LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The story about your son's copperheads is giving me the creeps! lol


    I think that it was a wise decision to make Mr. Snake go back outside. We do not allow unidentifiable guests to remain in our home, either!

    ReplyDelete