Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Typical Friday

It is time for the last week of the Not Back-to-School Blog Hop with 3boybarbarians. This week's theme is a Day-in-the-Life! I decided to record our Friday which was a typical Friday. None of our days are ever the same. Some days we get to stay home and others we have speech, doctor appointments, play therapy, dance class, horseback riding, or swimming. The list of possible schedule changes goes on and on. On this day, Timothy (19), who graduated last May, hung out with us. He even joined in on our history lessons. He is a real history buff and likes to put his two cents in on what I am teaching. On other days he is volunteering at the regional nature center and will soon be starting a few classes at the local community college.

This is our routine for today. I move around the cards and add in different ones, depending on what our plans are for the day. This form of a schedule is working well for us. 


6:15 ~ Mom and Dad got up.

6:30 ~ Tom Sawyer (7) awoke and laid on sofa.

7:00 ~ Dad left for work and Mom and Tom Sawyer watched Good Morning America for a few minutes.

7:15 ~ Everyone else got up and did their chores ... I only got a photo of Timothy (19) doing his morning chores. He actually didn't do his until 9:15 so he wouldn't disturb the neighbors.


7:30 ~ We had breakfast.

8:00 to 10:30 ~ We did the main chunk of our schoolwork:   
  • Reading lessons
  • Story of the World ~ Chapter 5 Vol. 2
  • Math ~ Horizon 1 page
  • Spelling ~ Reason for Spelling 2 pages
  • Phonics Helping Words, a matching game
  • Outdoor Challenge ~ Pumpkin study ~ recorded our study in our nature journals


10:30 ~ We cleaned up from school and drove to speech therapy.

11:00 to 12:00 ~ Goldilocks (8) was in speech while the rest of us did some shopping at Target and had lunch at Target. The kids had a special treat of Organic Mac and Cheese from Target's cafe. I really like how Target has some organic options, but my dear Tom Sawyer still had a reaction from the gluten in the Mac and Cheese.


12:00 to 1:00 ~ It was Tom Sawyer's turn for speech therapy while the rest of us ran through Walmart, gathering as many groceries as we could in a very short amount of time.

1:00 to 1:30 ~ I dropped off paperwork at the doctor's office and returned home.

1:30 to 2:00 ~ I put away groceries and tried in vain to get gum out of Little Red Riding Hood's (5) hair ~ finally had to cut it out.


2:00 to 3:00 ~ This was Goldilocks' computer time (the little ones get two times a week on the computer). The others have the choice of watching a video or watching the one child play on the computer. Today they all watched Goldilocks play Dora games on Noggin.

3:00 to 3:30 ~ We had tea time ~ They have been listening to Five Little Peppers and How They Grew. The kids had their snack and then had a choice to color while listening or to just listen.




3:30 to 4:00 ~ The children cleaned their assigned room ~ On Fridays, we clean all the bedrooms from top to bottom and change the sheets. 


4:00 to 5:00 ~ We had quiet time ~ formally known as Arsenic Hour. I don't know why it took me so long to have quiet time be during this transitional hour when Daddy is coming home, the kids are worn out and I am trying to get dinner going. It has been such a blessing to us. The kids played in their rooms and I made dinner.

5:00 ~ It was dinner time. Today, we had an edible oasis made of blueberries, rice, chicken and broccoli. The kids learned what an oasis was in SOTW today and SOTW suggested a candy oasis. I adapted it to be a healthy dinner.



5:30 ~ We did our after dinner chores and had play time with Daddy.

6:00  to 7:00 ~ We went on a family bike ride. 

7:00 ~ The kids had their baths and bedtime rituals.

8:00 ~ The kids were in bed, Timothy and Dad were watching a TV program and I was looking at blogs.

Well, that's all, folks!

Blessings, Dawn


7 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if you should be called Dawn the Super Mom or Dawn the Most Creative Teacher of All Time - even using dinner for a vocabulary/geograhy word. The Lord has endowed you abundantly with talent (and energy).

    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh we have tea time as well. We drink hot tea all day long LOL. Hope this finds you well, thanks for sharing and have a blessed day.


    trina @ Daddy's Chick's

    http://daddyschicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the oasis!! I remember that project, but I didn't want to make a candy one either so we just didn't do it. I love the castles on your walls too. Is that wallpaper or what???


    Thanks for giving us a peek into your day!


    Kristiana

    http://cellista.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn, it's always a treat visiting here. You always have the BEST ideas and who knew that bedroom/quiet time would be most advantageous at 4 to 5! It just makes sense, thanks, we're gonna try it :-).

    Blessings and have a great week, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute blog names for your kids, thanks for sharing your day and stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the visit & comment on my blog. I love the tea time idea! Like your first poster, I drink tea all day long. My boys, however, LOVE tea and frequently ask for some. I should just set us a tea time each day. You also made me realize that when I wrote up our typical day, I excluded speech & OT. We don't have them every day, so it just slipped my mind. :P

    http://5kidsandadog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved seeing a day in your life! Sounds busy - and I can relate. Great job on adapting the oasis!!! Thanks for sharing that as we'll probably need to do some creative things with food like that too.


    I enjoy your blog and am so glad to be friends!


    Blessings

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete