Saturday, August 23, 2008

Homeschool Memoirs ~ Assignment 1

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w108/hsbawards/Homeschool%20Memoirs/hm1you.png


This sounds like a really fun meme.  It will be held every week.  I am not sure I can keep up but think I will give it a go.  If you would like to get to know more homeschoolers, go here. 


This week's theme is "All About You".  I am a blessed homeschool mom of 10 years and am married to my college sweetheart.  We have four imaginative and creative children, two homemade and two sewn into our hearts and lives through adoption.  Our children are in 12th grade, 2nd grade, 1st grade, and kindergarten.  Three of our children have a variety of special needs which keeps us hopping from appointment to appointment.  Some weeks it feels like we "carschool" more than homeschool, but we are finding a balance.


We decided to homeschool when our oldest was in 3rd grade.  He is very learning challenged and has many developmental delays.  He is also pacemaker dependent and suffers from pulmonary issues.  We had tried public and private schools in two different states and were always unhappy with the schools.  The final straw was the bullying our son had to deal with every time he stepped out of his classroom for medically-fragile children.  Also, by the end of 3rd grade, he still could not read at all.  The teachers felt that he was unable to learn, and I just could not believe that.  In addition, I was teaching remedial reading and math to 4th and 5th grade students in his school and could not believe what I was seeing (way too much to go into here).  Anyway, we pulled him out and began homeschooling the next year.  We repeated 3rd grade and he was reading before our first year was complete.  He was afraid to draw because he had been limited to only one sheet of paper in art class and was scolded if he made a mistake.  We saw his love of learning come back to life.  Within months, he was filling notebooks full of drawings.  We never have looked back and love homeschooling more and more with each passing year.





This picture is from last Christmas.  However, it was the only picture of the four kiddos I could find quickly.


Blessings, Dawn

7 comments:

  1. I hope you will have fun doing this meme. I think it will be a great way to meet new homeschool folks, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great picture of everyone; they're all so beautiful!


    I'm sorry about the bullying he had to endure. I have an entry up right now about an "autistic artist". His imagination came to life after enduring mistreatment in school due to his condition. He's a believer too now; very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it funny how long it took many of us to bring the children home?! I let my dd suffer through almost an entire year of misery before I brought her home. The teacher asked me why I didn't let her just finish out the school year...I think she was quite miffed at me...but once I really saw how miserable she was, I had to take action and couldn't let it go on any longer!


    Thanks for taking time to do this. I love the picture.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is nice to learn more about you and how you started homeschooling your children. These memes are great, i just couldn't keep up. I still have lots of draft lined up for publishing. Maybe in the future, I'd love to meet more friends this way.


    Grace abounds,


    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a lovely family.


    What is the name of the waterfall? It looks familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is exactly what we found happened to our daughter as well once we started schooling at home. It is beautiful! God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dawn,


    I really enjoyed reading this post. What a great meme. I might just have to jump on that one myself.


    That is such a sweet pic of all the kids together. I'm glad you picked that one.

    ReplyDelete