Thursday, August 21, 2008

Show and Tell ~ Tea Time



It's time for another Show and Tell Friday with Canadagirl.  We started doing tea time this week.





I love to follow the Charlotte Mason style of homeschooling whenever I can.  How much more Charlotte Mason can you get than to cuddle up with a good book and drink tea while reading to your dear children?  Each afternoon when the kids start asking for snack, I bring out a tea set and serve tea or hot chocolate and our snack.  While they are eating, I read to them.  Then when the tea runs out, they narrate back what I have read.  We are currently reading a whimsical tale about a stuffed bunny who must deliver himself to the far off land of North Carolina, America.  Since we live in North Carolina, I think the kids are half expecting a bunny to knock on our door at the end of the book! LOL!!  So far, this special time is going better than I expected.  The kids are listening much better and narrating back more information. 





The first photo is of my little guy with his tea, marshmallows, and sunflower seeds.  Strange tea time snack, I know.




Last thought ~ here is a real little bunny who visited our yard the other day.


Blessings, Dawn

16 comments:

  1. Very cute! What a great idea. I do love that you are using the real china with your kids. I think I will get my china tea pot out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great way to enjoy a good book together. Cute bunny. We get a lot of those here too.

    Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet! I'm sure that they will remember those times when they are 70!


    I love that book, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely tea time. I'll have to look for that book at the library, as we too live in NC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, we love that book so much. I think it is the perfect way to read it. Inspires me to make some tea time as well. Thanks. Oh, and your tea set is lovely.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. I used to read at lunch (not exactly High Tea!), but the best reading aloud was accomplished while the boys QUIETLY played Lego on the floor while I read. Amazing how much they retained.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't that just like the Lord? To have a little 'visitor' while doing this book!!! I just love that!!! I also love the idea of 'tea time' and reading out loud while they're snacking!!!


    Great job!!


    Thanks for sharing,


    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an excellent way to do read-aloud time! You will have to arrange something with a bunny visit when you finish the book! ;~)


    Blessings,

    Kym

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like so much fun for your kids. I have never heard of that book before, but it sounds to cute. I am glad this is working so well and the kids are retaining so much information. : )

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your homeschool sounds so warm and inviting. What lovely memories you are making while having school at the same time!

    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this, I was thinking about buying a tea set for Christmas, what a wonderful way to read to the children. So cozy, LOVE it!


    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely way to spend an afternoon!

    I like the CM approach as well, but I haven't been very consistent in doing the 'tea' thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love that idea. I just may have to do that here.

    Be blessed,

    Chasity

    ReplyDelete
  15. http://fourlittlepenguins.blogspot.comAugust 23, 2008 at 4:00 PM

    Hi. I've enjoyed reading your blog. Your kids are so cute. :) I'm looking forward to reading more about you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun idea for your reading time together.....

    and a bunny to boot!

    bethanyrae

    ReplyDelete