Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Schedules, Schedules, Schedules ...

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w108/hsbawards/Homeschool%20Memoirs/routines.png


For more schedules, go here.


During my reflection time on how last school year went, one thing stood out as the problem area.  Last year our out-of-the-home schedule was out of control.  We were at one appointment or another every day of the week.  So after much prayer and thinking, I decided that we had to be home as many days as possible this year.  That is not to say that we are not going to continue to take classes and do doctor/therapy appointments.  However, I am hoping to find a balance this year.  Here is what is important to me...
  • That we do not travel more than 8 miles from home for any classes.  I know that we will have to travel farther for some doctors.  This is in part because of the price of gas but also because my dd with FASD and RAD has many behavior issues in the car.  Everything must be taken into consideration -- from where she is placed in the car to the route taken so that I can get off the road quickly if she is having issues.

  • I also wanted to be able to put all of their regular appointments and classes on Mondays, Tuesdays and Saturdays.

  • I wanted to make all the doctor appointments on W/TH/F and only one appointment a week so that we would be home most of those days.
So this is what I have so far as out of home experiences ...


Monday ~
  • The big teen will be at the nature center doing his internship for 6 hours.

  • Ballet and tap combined class for Little Red Ridinghood (4).

  • Swimming lessons for Goldilocks (7).

  • Neurofeedback for Goldilocks (7).  Neurofeedback is a program that helps rebuild the neurons in the brain due to brain damage.
Tuesday ~
  • Neurofeedback for Goldilocks.

  • World history homeschool class for the big teen.  This is a 10 week course that will complete his world history course from last year.

  • World religion homeschool class for the the big teen.  Taught by the same professor as above.

  • Speech therapy for Tom Sawyer (6).
W/Th/Fri ~
  • We will be at home most of the time!

  • I will probably do errands on every other Friday with payday.

  • Little errands like milk can be picked up when we are out and about on Mondays and Tuesdays.

  • I worked hard to get as many doctor appointments out of the way this summer, so there are only six doctor appointments currently scheduled before Christmas.  In addition, we have two Tomatis loops (8 days each).  Tomatis is an auditory processing recovery program for children with autism, PDD, or Sensory Integration Dysfunction Disorder.
Saturday ~
  • The big teen will be at the nature center for his internship.
Sunday ~
  • Church
So what is left?  Not much, thankfully.  I still have to set up Tom Sawyer's private swimming lessons.  He really likes his current teacher, and we are waiting to hear her new schedule.  It looks like it will be at night but that is okay, since my dh will be able to take him.  Also, I will be signing us up for a theater production or two with our homeschool support group for the group discount.


Secondly, I belong to four support groups in the area.  Each meets once a month at night.  I am considering taking a break from our main homeschool group, since I get lots of support online.  We will continue on with our homeschool special needs support group, FASD support group, and RAD support group.  We also will continue with our adoption play group.


Lastly, I am trying to start up a homeschool special needs co-op with my special needs support group.  If I have to do it all by myself, we will only get together once every other month; but hopefully, I will get some volunteers that will help so that we can get together every month.  I am thinking of doing a FIAR book, activity, social time, and potluck.  I see a real need for a co-op that would be a "safe haven" of sorts for those with special needs.  This is not to say that local homeschoolers and co-ops have been unwelcoming.  However, our special kids are sometimes disruptive with their behaviors and often aren't able to do the level of academics that is expected in normal co-ops.


Wow, this post got much longer that I thought it would.  Thanks for hanging in there.


Blessings, Dawn

16 comments:

  1. You are so wise to set up a schedule! Last year I didn't, and we had weeks when we were going somewhere every day. It got crazy. To me, schedules=peace. ;-)


    Thanks so much for your encouraging comment on my blog, Dawn! This weekend was pretty hard for me, and what you said helped so much. :-)


    Have a wonderful week!


    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a complete proponent of "keeping it simple". I went hardly anywhere during the school week last yr. and we did accomplish a lot at home. I also try to keep as many evenings as possible free so I can re-charge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are all set!


    My schedule last year was a disaster. With The Schoolhouse Planner ( i won one!), I am more hopeful this time.


    Wow! I'd be happy to be in one support group. But here in SL, it is non existent. That is why I love this virtual support groups on the web.


    Grace abounds,

    Maria


    ReplyDelete
  4. hello!! I also decided to cut back this year. My kids could go over to the public school (across the street) for specials (gym, art, japanese language) and I took advantage of that last year. Not this year. Way, way too much work going back and forth. I'm totally done with that. I also tried to get doctor appts done this summer. We have one more dental appt to do. I can't even have hubby take them because he's not here until Thanksgiving. Oh well.

    Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. But I completely understand the need to prioritize. If it works out you can rejoin in the spring, we would love to have you.


    In Him,


    Joi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand all to well. I have a day planner I use. TY for continuing to stop by my blog. It sure means alot. smiles and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is tricky trying to schedule everything. We're on the road so much that I sometimes wonder why we even call it "home" schooling. We are doing better with that this year too. I think the baby's arrival will make it even that much easier to stay at home. Maybe that's what you should do....have another baby! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I pray God will bless your schedule and give you more time at home. You certainly have many things to deal with that most of us take for granted.


    Letitia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a well thought out and prayed out schedule. :-)


    May God continue to bless you and yours as you homeschool this year.


    from Susan at http://fruitfulwords.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you all do do much. I thought our life was hectic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such wisdom! You have a full plate. I am in awe of all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you about staying near the home if not at home. We are only out one day a week and I love it. We get everything done and are able to stay on task when it comes to school. Thanks for sharing!


    Blessings,

    Trina @ Daddy's Chick's

    http://daddyschicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I pray MANY blessings on finding your groove for the year. You sound like you are really weighing it all out. Good Job ! Thank you sooooo much for sharing your schedule with us.


    Blessings in Him<><

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. to see that you were able to simplify things. When things are all over the place with appointments and such it gets tough Good Luck this year! Looking forward to hearing more about things with you!


    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm hoping and praying that with a routine that homeschool will go well our first year. Thanks for sharing what works for you.


    Sherry

    http://lampuntomyfeetandalightuntomypath.blogspot.com/2008/09/homeschool-memoirs-our-schedule.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's nice to meet you, Dawn. I look forward to learning more about you over the year.

    Blessings,

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete