Saturday, August 2, 2008

SOTW ~ Ancient Egypt

Things continue to go well with the SOTW.  The kids are really enjoying the coloring pages while I read. They love doing all the great activities.  Actually, we have only been doing about half of the suggested projects.  I love how they have so much variety; that way I can pick and choose what we are capable of.  The kids made a sugar cube pyramid this week.  It is amazing how many building blocks disappear when they are made out of sugar.  LOL!  They also made cuneiform tablets.  Tom Sawyer wrote the word "tap" in cuneiform.  He decided which letters were easiest to write and then made a word out of them.  The kids also made a model of the Nile River and a doll mummy.


The first photo shows the Nile River dry stage with grass seed.  After the kids flooded the Nile River for about a week, the grass sprouted (second photo).  What a great way to teach about early irrigation.  The pot in the corner represents the mountains.  The third photo shows our mummy, pyramid, and cuneiform tablet.  The final photo is a close up of Tom Sawyer's cuneiform tablet.
















We are going to take a one week break from SOTW to do a FIAR book.  I found it hard with our many doctor appointments this week to keep up with both SOTW and reading, math, and language arts.  We have even more appointments next week, so I am hoping that doing a FIAR unit study that includes all the subjects will help. 


Blessings, Dawn

4 comments:

  1. on all the projects. We had to pick and chose also. So many cool things to do it's hard to pick. Hope the appointments go well this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THose are the neatest projects. I am going to try to make the cuniform tablet with my son.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am forever amazed at all the projects you do with your children. You must have TONS of energy! I bet they really are having a good time.

    mom2many

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've passed along an award to you; see my blog for details (feel free to accept or ignore).

    ReplyDelete