Sunday, August 31, 2008

Nothing for 30 Days Challenge!



Owlhaven is doing an amazing challenge that I am really excited about doing.  It is the 30 days of NOTHING challenge.  The rules state that you are to find ways to spend less in the month of September.  You make the rules apply to your family the way you see fit.  My reasons for wanting to do this challenge is to save money for our October vacation, teach my children how to live a more frugal lifestyle, and work on the sense of entitlement that we all have.  I have seen too many entitlement issues in my children and, on closer inspection, in myself as well.  My family had a family meeting and everyone has agreed to take the challenge for this month.  Here is what we plan on doing:
  • Only spending money on out-of-home classes (swimming lessons and ballet), groceries, and gas.

  • If emergencies come up or things break, we will determine if we really need to replace or repair the item.  If at all possible, we will get along without.

  • The entire amount of the children's allowance will be saved for vacation.

  • I am going to try to keep groceries to $100 dollars a week. 

  • We will pay the $5 registration fee for our Homeschool International Night and $5 for any more supplies that we need to get our display ready.

  • We will take the minivan to Jiffy Lube for an oil and fluids change.

  • We will pay for everything with cash.
Here is what we will NOT be doing ~
  • No amazon.com order of books this month.  (We often take advantage of the free shipping on a $25 order.)

  • No extra school supplies (except for International Night) or books from anywhere! (Yes, that exclamation mark is meant for me.)

  • No thrift store shopping.

  • NO EATING OUT ~ NOT EVEN A SODA OR BAG OF TARGET POPCORN!  (My kids are less than enthusiastic about this one.  LOL)

  • No family activities out that cost money ~ no State Fair this year.
This month will be especially challenging because of our Tomatis loop, which starts on September 8.  It is too far to go home during the 2 hour appointment, so I have to kill the time doing something else.  We have gotten used to wandering around the shopping center next to Tomatis, which ended up costing us a few dollars each time.  The waiting room is very small and often crowded.  Blessedly, the three children that get Tomatis will be treated together most of the 10 days of the loop.  This means that I only have one child to entertain.  It also is getting cooler outside, so parks are more of an option.  There is a library within a short drive, too. 


Well, here we go.  I will keep you updated on our progress.  If you want to see more great people taking the challenge, go to Owlhaven.


Blessings, Dawn

11 comments:

  1. Good luck! (and thanks for stopping by to check out my 30 Days of Nothing).


    Your post just reminded me - I'm 30 days overdue on our van service. Now I've got to decide what to do about it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're playing along!


    Mary, mom to many

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visitng my blog. I have enjoyed my visit to yours!


    It's awesome that your whole family is on board with this.


    From Susan at http://fruitfulwords.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I probably won't officially sign up for the challenge, I'm with you all the way! Dh and I just sat down recently and re-worked our budget, trying to accomodate for upcoming extra expenses...yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. I am going to check this out. I am looking for ways to pull money from thin air these days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a good list. It is really very interesting this whole challenge isn't it!


    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on the challenge. We are trying to cut back more this month too. I think my kids would be less than thrilled about the no eating out too. : )

    Can't wait to hear your progress.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I'm following all the frugal tips from Owlhaven.

    I too realized too late that doing without meant no state fair this year. I'm sticking to it though and I'm glad. We could easily drop $150 or more on a ay at the fair buying things we didn't need and overpriced food. Not to mention the fact that the crowds just drive me nuts.

    We'll find other fun things to do instead.

    MaryLu from www.scrappermarylu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooooh, i'm not sure i could go a whole month without eating out at ALL. That would be really tough as i so much enjoy not having to cook every now and then.

    Kudos to you for even trying. I'm sure you will get through this with flying colors and a new perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was all fine until the Amazon ban LOL... just kidding. Sounds like a challenge I should take.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great challenge to take on. The eating out one is super hard for us here as we seem to catch a lot of lunches on the run, but it seems you have a great plan in place. I should implement lot of your goals in our lives. Thanks for inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete